Welcome to the Early Retirement Extreme (ERE) Wiki Page. Once understood, ERE principles allow for a much earlier retirement than most think. A driving principle is to live on a much smaller percentage of your income. For example, if you live on 20-25% of your wage and invest the rest, you may retire in 5 or 6 years, freeing you from the obligation to work for money for the rest of your life. This requires accumulating an investment account corresponding to 25-33 times your annual expenses in order to have a safe withdrawal rate of 3-4%. For most people, this is most easily done by focusing on decreasing expenses rather than increasing income. Decreasing expenses is most effectively done by looking at the largest expenses, namely housing, transportation, and food, instead of focusing on hundreds of smaller frugality tweaks. Start by visiting the Early Retirement Extreme Blog. The blog and book are mainly about strategy. The Early Retirement Extreme Forums are where people discuss ideas and maintain journals to document their progress. The ERE Wiki addresses tactics and specifics.
This is open for anyone who wants to contribute. Register yourself using the login link in the upper right corner of this page and start contributing! Suggested guidelines Note that inserting new links into posts will require you to answer a captcha question which will appear at the top. This is to combat spam and vandalism.
What is ERE?
- Introduction, History, Philosophy, Goals, Learning process
- Mainstream Media, Online Media, Podcasts with JLF, Guest Posts, Articles, and Interviews with JLF
- Helpful answers and responses to frequently raised objections.
- ERE City was a project started in 2011 with the goal of finding the optimal cities for ERE adherents.
- Tools for Assessing ERE Viability
- Living Arrangements, Cool Places